A medical facility has a staff roster which contains a wide selection of different job roles, these may require different skills, training, certification or even commitment. With such different categorizations within the workforce, it can be a challenge for scheduling staff to keep abreast of their plans. Added to this is the difficulty of following shift expectations, some facilities may choose to use pattern planning (e.g. mornings, afternoons, evenings) and others could decide that they prefer staff to choose their desired shifts.
Trying to manage medical facility schedules clearly necessitates an advanced, progressive approach. Those that struggle to manage shifts often do so because they are not using appropriate systems. Pens and spreadsheets will just not get the job done.
That’s why medical facilities regularly decide to utilize shift management programs. Employee scheduling software helps put you in control of your scheduling, freeing time that can be spent on more important tasks in the medical facility. Some free options may limit employee roster size or run adverts. Also, a handful of the elite options are available for trial, which give medical facilities the opportunity to see which package is ideal for them.
Here is a list of five shift scheduling software applications with a brief description of each:
1) Snap Schedule 365
From scheduling to employee self-service, Snap Schedule 365 gives you 24/7 access to innovative features that save time, reduce labor costs, improve productivity and promote employees’ work-life balance. Swipe, tap, or click. Snap Schedule 365’s modern UI lets schedulers and managers easily manage their workforce anywhere and anytime, on any device. Its powerful features cover every aspect of modern day workforce management. Available 24/7 and accessible to employees whether at work or at home, Snap Schedule 365’s self-service features cut scheduling and administrative time by making employees more pro-active in the process.
2) When I Work
When I Work makes it easy for businesses to schedule and communicate with their hourly employees. It does more than just save you time on scheduling. It also helps you improve communication, eliminate excuses, boost accountability among your staff, track time and attendance, and grow your business. When I Work pricing starts at $1.50 per month, per user. There is a free version for up to 75 employees.
Restaurants and retail stores that need scheduling and timekeeping for one location can get Homebase for free. Employees can always get their up-to-date work schedule via text and email. Homebase automatically reminds employees of upcoming shifts and allows you to manage shifts trades and covers on the fly. Managers can easily track employee availability, time-off requests, and approvals in the Homebase work schedule app.
Hospitality businesses and restaurants can schedule faster, reduce labor costs, communicate better, stay labor compliant with OpenSimSim. Create daily or weekly schedules. Track labor costs to check you’re staying under budget. Post open shifts if you need extra help. The basic plan is free and it can be used for 1 location, 1 department, 10 scheduled workers.
5) Shifts in Microsoft Teams
If you already enrolled in a Microsoft Office 365 plan that includes Microsoft Teams, you can use the scheduling management tool in Microsoft Teams called Shifts. This scheduling management tool will help you create, update, and manage schedules for your team even when on the run. Shifts provides a platform to enhance communications and collaboration with fellow team members and management.
What Can Medical Facilities Scheduling Software Do for You?
Medical facilities scheduling software takes the hard work out of staffing, scheduling, and publishing work schedules, freeing you up to do more important things.
- Spend less time creating and publishing work schedules. Medical facilities scheduling software makes scheduling doctors and nurses, editing information, analyzing data, and distributing employee work schedules easy and simple. Assign rounds, work stations, breaks, and duties within each shift.
- Quickly fill a shift or find a substitute based on many criteria including job position, skills, availability, labor cost, work hour limits, and seniority.
- Prevent and alerts you to availability conflicts, duplicate shift assignments, overlapped shift assignments, and conflicts with scheduled time off.
- Know instantly where officers are assigned. No need to flip through pages of paper to see absentee, on-call, training, or overtime situations.
- Reduce the time to track and assign employee training, vacation and time off requests. Medical facility scheduling software keeps you up to date on who will not be coming in to work and why. Its comprehensive reports provide details on planned vacation, training, and time off hours for any time period you select.
- Reduce labor costs and avoid unnecessary overtime. Medical facility scheduling software lets you accurately track absences and forecast staffing needs to minimize over-staffing, which in turn reduces payroll costs. It automatically sums up employees’ work hours and costs; calculates overtime, on-call, time off, and incentive pays; and provides detailed cost reports so you know instantly if you are on budget.
- Keep scheduling and employee information in one place for easy access. Insert ID photos as well as employee contact information, authorized work stations, skills, available work hours for part-time and volunteers, and work hour constraints into employee records.
- Monitor attendance, work hours, and labor costs. Advanced online employee scheduling software with time clock features lets you see exactly who clocked in and how your scheduled hours compare to the hours your employees are actually working.